SUPPORT GREAT STORYTELLING
We rely on your support to remain on air and online. Your contribution helps us bring you interviews with great American artists and the carefully curated music mix that you’ve enjoyed over the years.Donate
CREOLE EYES AND CLASSICAL EARS: VAN DYKE PARKS & TOM MCDERMOTT
Conversation with and music from Van Dyke Parks, an eclectic, popular classicist known as a composer and keyboardist, arranger and producer, with a great love of calypso and Hawaiian cowboy music. The man behind the curtain for so many artists, the Hollywood-based Parks is well-regarded for writing and studio work with Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys, Ry Cooder, Lowell George and Randy Newman, among many. He recently became a fan of pianist Tom McDermott, a St. Louis-born, New Orleans-dwelling and Brazilian-influenced vernacular virtuoso. Parks thought enough of McDermott’s recorded repertoire to collect and reissue some of it as Bamboula—so named for the composition by the mutually-admired New Orleans 19th century pianist Louis Moreau Gottschalk. Tom McDermott, also a fan of Scott Joplin, Jelly Roll Morton, Professor Longhair and James Booker, plays in his parlor for us.
- America Van Dyke Parks
Tokyo Rose, Warner Bros.
- Sailin' Shoes Little Feat
Sailin' Shoes, Warner Bros.
- Sail On Sailor The Beach Boys
Good Vibrations: Thirty Years of the Beach Boys, Capitol
- Jack Palance Mighty Sparrow
The Early Years, BLS
- FDR in Trinidad Ry Cooder
Into the Purple Valley, Warner Bros.
- Wah She Go Do Bonnie Raitt
Takin' My Time, Rhino
- Instrumental: Simple Calypso Esso Trinidad Steel band
- SEGMENT: Van Dyke Parks
- Instrumental: Available Space Ry Cooder
Ry Cooder, Warner Bros.
- CLIP: Van Dyke Parks on Randy Newman
- excerpt: Vine Street Van Dyke Parks
Song Cycle, Warner Bros.
- Bet No One Ever Hurt This Bad Randy Newman
Creates Something New Under the Sun, Reprise
- Cheek to Cheek Lowell George
Thanks, I'll Eat It Here, Warner Bros.
- De Camino a la Verada Buena Vista Social Club feat. Ibrahim Ferrer
Buena Vista Social Club, Nonesuch
- Hawaiian Roughrider Leabert Lindsay
Na Mele O Paniolo, Warner Bros.
- Cowboy Van Dyke Parks
Moonlighting: Live at the Ash Grove, Warner Bros.
- Heroes and Villains The Beach Boys
Smiley Smile, Capitol
- End Bed: The Stars and Stripes Forever Tom McDermott and Matt Perrine
New Orleans Duets, Rabadash
- The Chrysanthemum Tom McDermott
Danza, STR Digital
- The Banjo, Opus 15 (Fantasie Grotesque) Louis Moreau Gottschalk
American Piano Music played by Amiram Rigai, Smithsonian Folkways
- East St. Louis Blues Professor Longhair
Professor Longhair's Boogie, Catfish
- Java Allen Toussaint
The Complete 'Tousan' Sessions, Bear Family
- On the Sunny Side of the Street James Booker
Junco Partner, Hannibal
- Instrumental: So Swell When Your Well James Booker
Spiders on the Keys: Live at the Maple Leaf, Rounder
- SEGMENT: Tom McDermott
- The Peanut Vendor Billie and De De Pierce
Gulf Coast Blues, Arhoolie
- Bamboula Tom McDermott
- Instrumental: Boll Weevil Blues Eubie Blake
Memories of You, Shout! Factory
- Have You Seen My Baby Ringo Starr
- Hey Good Lookin' Meschiya Lake and Tom McDermott
Live at Chickie Wah Wah, Chickie Wah Wah
- Lewis Boogie Jerry Lee Lewis
Complete Sun Singles, Bear Family
- Eh, Petite Fille Clifton Chenier
Louisiana Blues and Zydeco, Arhoolie
- Early in the Morning Irma Thomas and Tom McDermott
Simply Grand, Rounder
- End Bed: The Crave Tom McDermott
The Crave, STR Digital